As a wife and mother, you often think about the well-being of others before you think of yourself. What you may not realize is that if you don’t nurture yourself, you can’t adequately take care of the ones you love.
Simply knowing the fact doesn’t help much if you don’t put the principle into practice. You may be teaching your children the opposite of what you intended. Teach them about self-care. Begin by take time to nurture and pamper the woman within! Remember, your children tend to follow your lead; so, lead with confidence and start with these ideas.
- Take a bubble bath. Set aside an hour one evening or during the weekend. Fill up your bathtub with your favorite bubble bath and soak. Every woman knows that a long, hot bubble bath can soak away the cares of the day. Set aside the time to soothe your inner woman today.
- Go for a walk. Exercise can clear your mind and nourish your inner soul. It also does great things for your body. Whether the air is crisp and cool or warm and breezy, going for a leisurely walk can make the difference in how you feel.
- Share the love. Nothing pampers you like getting the love and attention of your children or spouse. Bear hugs and sticky kisses can make even the worst day seem better.
- Head to a day spa. Talk about being pampered. Go for the full treatment – facial and massage. Why not get the works? Remember that you’re worth the time and money you’ll be spending. If you opt to choose a less expensive alternative, Make sure that you at least treat yourself to a meal at your favorite eatery. This can be especially fun and relaxing if you go to a place that isn’t a family favorite. Remember, this day is all for you!
- Listen to your favorite music. Pull out your favorite tunes or nature sounds to boost your mood, relax, or rejuvenate your energy level. You may even want to sing or dance along. Whatever you need, there are sounds and music to help you accomplish your goal.
- Hydrate yourself. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Dehydration can make you feel run down and inhibit clear thinking. Take a few minutes to drink a cold glass of water and you’ll pamper your mind and body. You may also want to use lotion or cream throughout the day to keep your skin soft and supple.
- Journal strong emotions. Let out some of the feelings you may have been keeping bottled up inside. Whether the feelings are happy, sad, mad, frustrated, worried or any other strong emotions, let them go. Don’t suppress tears if you feel them coming. It’s been said that crying is good for the soul. It may be time to let the tears fall.
- Write or draw about the positives. While you have your journal out, list three things that you like about yourself. Quite often we’re guilty of not thinking well of ourselves. Take a few minutes and seriously think about things you admire about yourself and write them down.
- Reach out and touch someone. Is there a friend you’ve lost touch with? Now would be a great time to reconnect. Talking with an old friend can be good for you. Make that call or send that email to schedule a time to visit. Who have you been missing?
- Meditate or pray. Meditation and prayer can be both rejuvenating and relaxing. They can also reach a part of you that nothing else will. These “alone” or times help you to focus on nothing but you and are a great way to bring things into perspective.
- Surround yourself with wonderful scents. Buy yourself flowers or pick some from your garden. To make the most of flower scents, you may want to get a fragrant plant to sit in the rooms where you spend the most time. Not fond of flowers or plants?
- Wear your favorite fabrics and clothing. Whether you like items that are silky smooth, satiny soft, or cottony cool, wear a garment that makes you feel good about yourself, even if others can’t see them. If you wear dress clothing a great deal, you may want to go for a simple, comfy item that represents relaxation to you. On the other hand, if you don’t dress up much, the silky, smooth garments may be just what you need to reconnect with the “more than a mom” woman waiting to get out.
You want to be a better wife and mother so make sure to take the time to nurture and pamper the woman within. If you’re relaxed and at ease, it will show through in the love you give, the time you spend, and how you make others feel.