We’re headed into the homestretch with schools’ summer break coming up quickly. This time of year often brings up the question – is summer break from school a good or bad idea? This question can bring up strong feelings for many people and mixed feelings for others.
Depending on whom you ask, you may get a very different answer. Ask children and they will likely tell you that summer break or vacation is awesome. Ask a parent or educator, and you might get a different answer. There are pros and cons to both sides depending on the circumstances.
School Summer Break: The Pros
There are so many pros to summer vacation that it is hard to pinpoint which are the best.
- Not having to get up in the morning – If you are a stay-at-home mom or work in the teaching industry, chances are that you are able to get up after a good night’s rest as opposed to waking up to the alarm clock.
- Not having to battle to get to school on time – If your children are like most, getting them up, out of bed and to school on time is a challenge at best.
- Warmer weather – Warmer weather almost always equates to trips – maybe to the beach. More time spent outdoors means a more relaxed and healthy family.
- Barbeques – There is nothing that can compare to a summer barbeque when it comes to family fun and togetherness. There are so many foods that you can cook on a barbeque that the options are endless. In addition, there is no better feeling than to share those foods with friends, family, and neighbors.
- Pool time – If you live in a climate with warm weather, then you may find that you can hardly wait to fill your pool with water. Enjoying your pool with your children is a great feeling.
- Travel time – Most families use summer time as their family vacation time. Traveling during the summer brings joy, excitement, and memories.
School Summer Break: The Cons
- Too much together time – Sometimes being home and around each other too much over the summer can be cause for siblings to fight with one another. Sometimes there are only so many tactics a parent can come up with in order to keep their children happy.
- Keeping kids entertained – There are only so many creative ideas that a parent can create to keep kids happy and entertained. If there is no summer vacation plan in the works, the summer can seem endlessly long for both parents and kids.
- No routine – One of the biggest problems with summer vacation is that there is very little structure. Then, when it is time to get the kids back to school, getting back into a routine is difficult at best.
- Expensive – Keeping families entertained over the summer can add up to a lot of money. The price of gas seems to go up every summer and trips to the beach can add up, as well. Dining out, concerts, and traveling are all expensive endeavors.
Whether you can’t wait for the summer break from school, dread to see it coming, or are on the fence about it all, we’d like to hear what you think! Weigh-in with your position on the matter by posting a comment below.